Kickstart Performance Skills
"I emailed Man Utd for work experience and never heard back!
What's wrong with them?"
(this is a real quote btw).
If you want to work in performance sport - you need work experience to show that you can do the job. There seems to be a misconception that your first attempt at getting work experience will succeed. Those that make it almost always have to try numerous times to get the foot in the door. Everyone has to graft at finding it, but most people are fumbling around in the dark about how to go about it. However, the critical step that most people overlook is that before you get work experience - you need to develop the skills, mindset and methods to ACQUIRE and SUCCEED in work experience. Now you can benefit from a proven method to get ahead.
Here's some common mistakes;
- If you're pinning your hopes on getting good grades and letting them speak for themselves about how good you are, then you're in for a shock about the requirements to be effective in work.
- If you're hoping your non-sport part-time work (in pubs, supermarkets, pet shops) will be enough. Well, that can help a bit, as they do involve transferable skills, but they're not specific enough!
- If you're you're putting all your hopes in that work placement during your course? That's good! And if you've got a vocational skills course lined up too? That's good too! But sorry to say it, this won't be nearly enough.
The shocking statistics are that the majority of students enrolling onto sports degrees aspire to work in sports and at a high level. By the end of their studies less than 0.1% are skilled to work!
This course is a proven method to guide you through the essential lessons with interactive activities to help you take your first steps toward and succeeding in work.
Course Tutor: Dr Steve Ingham
"With KPS I have one simple aim; To support those with an ambition to work in sports and performance to increase the chances of having a successful career, by developing the skills necessary to thrive in work - while you're studying.
I've distilled my experience of supporting 1000s of athletes and developing 1000s of performance professionals into this course, to help you take ownership of your future by following a proven path to success"
"Some of the roles, I've held in high-performance";
2016- present; Performance consultant, Supporting Champions
2013-2016; Director of Science and Technical Development, English Institute of Sport
2009–2013; Head of Physiology, English Institute of Sport
2005–2009; Lead Physiologist, English Institute of Sport
1998–2004; Senior Physiologist & Sports Science Manager, British Olympic Association
1997–1998; Sports Performance Officer, English Sports Council
IDEAL FOR: 2nd year to final year students who are now starting to take their future career seriously and know they need to invest in their development.
SKILLS: Acquire the complete skill set to bridge the gap;
-Understanding what it takes to work in sports performance
-Realise what employers are really looking for
-How to acquire experience explore career routes
-How to develop professionalism in your experience
COURSES: KICKSTART PERFORMANCE SKILLS is a certificated track. Take additional modules to start studying for the INTERDISCIPLINARY AWARD (completed by undertaking modules in GRADUATE TO PERFORMANCE).
SUPPORT: Join the community of aspiring sports performance professionals developing and networking together. Benefit from exclusive live Q&As and professional development webinars to fast track your skills.
Students who have completed this course track show persistence, willingness to learn and the right mindset to succeed in performance teams. Taking this course will put you in the top 3% of talent and position you ahead of the pack with the skills, experience and mindset that employers need.
Graduates from this course have gone on to work at Man Utd FC, Royal Yachting Association, British Gymnastics, FC Nordsjaelland and many other sports teams.
This course is for students of sports and exercise aiming to work as a professional in sports and performance. The realities of working in the industry means that there is a strong possibility that you'll be exposed - not in a good way. The skills you'll be required to develop, demonstrate and excel at in work are rarely trained at university, at worst they're not even talked about.
Modules to take you forward
Creating your future
- How people are making a difference by supporting athletes and teams
- Your current status and work prospects in sport and performance
- Why your university education is unlikely to equip you for working in sport and performance
- The importance of craft skills
Understanding work in sports and performance
- Case study: Sir Steve Redgrave
- The demand of working in sports performance environments
- The transferability of craft skills to other professions
- Developing your performance focus and taking action
Applied skills and growing experience
- Case study: Beijing Olympics exposes craft skills
- The determinants of your performance
- Priority professional skills
- How to grow your abilities
Thriving and professionalism
- Turning up to work and starting well
- Reflective practice
- Developing your professional skills
- Being effective in your studies
Watch some sample clips from the course
*Complete the track to achieve the certificate. Include the award on your CV, use to demonstrate competency for your accreditation and continued professional development.