This is a special announcement: Our online course is about to launch.
The course launches on 7th October 2019, when I’m hosting a live webinar at 7pm GMT to show you the course content with live Q&A and provide you with an exclusive discount. Sign up now to find out more
The realities of working in the sports and performance industry means there is a strong possibility that students are exposed, ill-equipped or at best unable to thrive when entering the world of work.
I’ve observed that across first year undergraduates entering into sports based degrees 50 to 75% of students want to work in sports and at a high level (85% of our webinar attendees do too). However, from the tens of thousands of graduates applying for jobs we estimate that 0.03% are equipped to work in that environment. So few people applying for jobs are work ready.
In a nutshell the vocational skills gap is widening. Survey data from shows that ¾ of industry professionals see the widening, yet ¾ of academics think it’s closing. Something isn’t right if 50-75% of young people start their studies wanting to work in sports and performance, yet such a small percentage, less than 0.1%, are skilled.
Universities are just not set up to develop the skill of working in sports and yet 90% of our webinar attendees expect universities to get them work ready. This issue has motivated me to write the letter to 15000, How to Support a Champion, but people are asking for more. We’ve had 2500 attendances on the webinar programme earlier in the year and it has motivated us to spend the summer developing the course.
There’s one simple aim of this course;
‘To support students with an ambition to work in sports and performance to increase the chances of them having a successful career, by developing the skills necessary to thrive in work – while they’re studying.’
What does the course look like?
- Online course that you can progress through on your desktop or on the teachable app
- 30 bitesized modules broken into 4 core themes of prioritsed insights of what it takes to be successful
- 12 follow-up worksheets with practical steps for you to grow your abilities
- An e-copy of How to Support A Champion
- All informed with the experience of supporting 1000s of athletes and developing 1000s of performance professionals
Creating your future
- How people are making a difference by supporting athletes and teams
- Your current status and work prospects in sport and performance
- Why your university education is unlikely to equip you for working in sport and performance
- The importance of craft skills
Working in sports and performance
- Case study example 1
- The demand of working in sports performance environments
- The transferability of craft skills to other professions
- Developing your performance focus and taking action
Critical craft skills
- Case study example 2
- The determinants of your performance
- Priority professional skills
- How to grow your abilities
Thriving in work and your studies
- Reflective practice
- Developing your professional skills
- Being effective in your studies
So students, we’re really excited about sharing this course with you, we’re committed to helping you bridge the gap before you graduate. So take a look at the details on www.supportingchampions.co.uk/onlinecourse
The course launches on 7th October, when I’m hosting a live webinar at 7pm GMT to show you the course content with live Q&A and provide you with an exclusive discount.
So sign up and I’ll look forward to connecting with you on the webinar.